Thursday, March 09, 2006

What my max hr?, shoes -- Recovery 4 miles

Today's training: recovery 3.97 miles, 40:55 (10:18 min/mi), avg 141 bpm

The hamstring felt pretty good. I'd say 95% whatever that means. Took it very easy. Walked lots of uphills. I felt kind of tired and never very comfortable, but this has been typical of the first 4 miles or so of all my runs. When I do my long runs, the first loop (4.6 miles) feels harder than it should and then I feel great on the next one.

So what is my max heart rate? I'm still not sure. I played with the oregon team pace calculator, which also gives you a heart rate for a race. If I use 191 as my max (from sprint at end of february 10K) instead of 199 (from end of november 5 miler), use 44 as my resting heart rate (I saw 44 while relaxing in my chair one lazy saturday morning a few weeks ago), and enter my 47:21 10K, it shows 178 bpm for the 10K heart rate, which happens to be the average I saw. 163 bpm seems low for an 8:32 marathon pace though. In my staircase intervals I was at 166 bpm for 8:46 min/mi. On the easy training runs it say 145 bpm for 10:02 min/mi which matches, however. It's also not clear to me what the HR means for a marathon since you'll probably have a 10 bpm rise at an even pace.

Shoes. I think I'm overdue for a new pair of shoes, but am a little hesitant at this stage in the game. I have 445 miles on this pair and have officially never gone over 400 miles without getting injured (although I believe the hamstring injury is a coincidence). I've noticed for a week or two some more soreness in the feet, which I typically get when my shoes are shot. None of the local stores have my size since the shoes have been discontinued. I should be able to make it through 26.2.

No comments: