Monday, March 20, 2006

a little experiment with form -- Recovery 5 miles

Today's training: 4.87 miles, neighborhood loop, 49:11 (10:07 min/mi), avg 142/max 153/2:20 above 150

I put fresh batteries in my footpod and it worked fine. With the alarm functioning, I did a better job at keeping my heart rate under the 150 limit.

With my mind wandering, I started thinking about my form. I tried running tall and straight imagining I was being pulled along perpendicular to my body. It felt good and I'd say it "better" but who knows. I felt like I was striking more towards the midfoot and sort of squatting (body lower to the ground) while I was running. Form is an odd thing. I believe good form is sub-conscious and you can't consiously tell yourself to have it. Somehow you need to find the right exercises to develop it. I'm not marathon-fit right now anyway, so I might as well not worry about it.

The back of my right knew is a little sore and feels somewhat weak (like it's too easy to extend it). It's felt like this for a few days. I'm going to stick with running everyday, but I'll keep a close eye on it and not hesitate to cut a run short.

No comments: