Saturday, March 11, 2006

marathon strategy -- Rest

Today's training: Rest

Only 11 miles this week. The lack of running is making me itchy. Hopefully, my fitness hasn't suffered too much, but I know running today can't possibly help me for tomorrow, so I'm resting.

Race-day nutrition. I realized that I haven't worked out my nutrition strategy the day of the race. I also have never tried Ultima replinisher, which is what they'll have at the race. I looked it up and it only has 6 grams of carbs per 16-20 oz. (depending on how they mix it). If I have one 4 oz cup every two miles, that's maybe 2 g per hour. Ugh. Supposedly you can absorb 30-60 g per hour. The Gu package suggests one every 45 minutes, which is 4*25/3 = ~33 g per hour. Add the paltry 2 g and we're at 35 g. I've also seen .5 g per pound per hour with a max of 60-75g. I weigh 170, which equates to 85 g per hour, making me think I should be shooting for 60g, but I don't see how I get there. If we had gatorade, it would be pretty easy. 7 g per 4 oz waterstop times ~3 .3 stops per hour is ~23 g per hour. With gels every 45 minutes and 4oz of gatorade per 2-mile stop you get ~56 g. Very nice. Without gatorade...

So what's the plan, already? Gel every 45 minutes. One cup of ultima every stop. I finished my long runs pretty strong with one or fewer gels and water, so we'll just call this a bonus.

Before the race? Bob Glover recommends a light, high-carb breakfast 2 to 4 hours before racing of 500 to 1000 calories (light?), an energy bar or bagel an hour before the race, 8 to 16 ounces of a sports drink (with 6-8 percent carbohydrates -- read gatorade) and a gel pack 5 to 15 minutes before. My plan:
  • Make some rice the night before and eat what I can that morning before leaving on my two-hour drive.
  • Bring a Clif Bar to try and eat when I get there, which will probably be early, ~6:30.
  • Suck down a gel and drink what I feel like of 16 oz of gatorade as close to 5 minutes as I can get (will I have to go to the bathroom?). One advantage of a small marathon are that the logistics are easy and I can probably do this at my car.
I really doubt I can ingest all of this since 1) it's a lot and 2) I'll be nervous. Today I need to buy some gatorade and make some rice.

Weather. Currently the start is predicted to be 56 and 86% humidity warming to 64 and 72% humidity. The temps have come done some, but the humidity has gone up. Disconcerting though are the winds from the south at 10mph.

Pacing. The basic plan is to look at my watch and keep the needle under 9 min/mi. There's an out and back and miles 18 on are now into the wind. I need to make sure I there with plenty of cushion but not push it too much. If it's feeling easy on the way north, it's probably because the wind is at my back. I need to take those seconds when I get them and not ease up to feel more comfortable. I'll also need a little pad for the short walk at the water station every two miles (I'll try to keep this at a minimum but make sure I drink my full cup) and a possible bathroom break. There's the plan -- keep the needle under nine.

No comments: