Monday, February 13, 2006

This week's s schedule -- long run 17 miles, make that 14 miles

Today's training: 14 mile long run, icy neighborhood and a parking lot, 2:25:00 (10:21 min/mi), avg 145 bpm

I could feel the tired in my teeth. After the interval training last week and after the 10K, I get this feeling for a few days that tells me I probably shouldn't be doing more than a recovery run. My chest feels tight and when I run, I don't really feel the exertion in the same way. I'm kind of numb.

Anyway, it was very tough trying to run on icy streets and sidewalks. I picked my way around for hours and ran a lot of miles round and around in a school parking lot (~0.1 miles around) before I gave up at 14 miles. I didn't have the urge to stop. It was just late, my legs were sore, I was tired of picking around ice patches, and I didn't think I was getting a lot of benefit from it. Overall bad day. Too slow. Heart rate too low.

This is the first run on the schedule I've cut short, so I'm not too happy about that. I told myself when I started the Pfitz schedule that I was marginally qualified and I'd cut back if needed. I can't ever imagine running 17 miles the day after a 10K. I looked at Bob Glover's Competitive Runner's Handbook and even in his advanced schedules he gives you a break from the long run on race weekends.

  • Monday. 17 mile long run. (delayed from Sunday and shortened to 14 miles)
  • Tuesday. Rest or try to still get Recovery + spd 5 mi w/ 6x100m strides? Is there anywhere I can do the strides?
  • Wednesday. Vo2max 10 mi w/ 4x1200 @ 5K -- usable track? Can I do this on a treadmill? I might just do the 10 miles and forget the intervals.
  • Thursday. Rest.
  • Friday. General aerobic 10 miles
  • Saturday. Recovery 4 miles
  • Sunday. Long run 20 miles. This is the absolute key run. Don't want to screw this up.

Weight: 173

No comments: