Friday, February 10, 2006

Breathing - 4 mi Recovery + speed w/ 6 x 100m strides

I think I've misunderstood the definitions of 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, etc. breathing rythms. In this post I refer to using 1-1 breathing during intervals, which is twice as fast as I breathe during regular runs. What I meant was one stride (two footfalls) while breathing in and two footfalls while breathing out. Reading other sites, it appears that 1-1 usually means that 1 footfall in and 1 footfall out. E.g., in with the left foot and out with the right foot. If this is the case, then I'm doing all my running with a 4-4 breathing pattern. I've at time tried to force myself to breathe in what I thought was a 3-3 pattern just to make sure I could do it and wasn't doing my long run too fast. I had trouble maintaining it for more than a couple of minutes. Because it was a 6-6 breathing pattern?!

Today's training: 4 mi (w/ 6 x 100m strides), parents to elem school and back, 38:50 (9:45 min/mi), 141 bpm avg

Lower legs (muscles to the outside of shins) were quite sore. I don't think I've recovered from Tuesday's intervals.

This route is pretty flat and much flatter (110 ascent/105 descent) than my normal neighborhood route, which probably explains the lower heart rate. (These are read off my watch, not STRAM).
  • 2.53 miles prior to strides at 9:59 min/mi, avg 138
  • got in the 150's during strides (don't think I saw 160)
  • last 0.95 miles at 9:34 min/mi, avg 144

A 10K tomorrow seems like it would be tough given my soreness and 17 miles the next day seems crazy.

No comments: