Monday, February 06, 2006

Nutrition, This week's schedule - Rest

Nutrition. What should I be consuming during my runs, particularly my long runs? What should I consume during the marathon? Should I carbo-load the week before the marathon and if so, how? What should I be eating day-to-day? Lots of unanswered questions here.

Last time around, I drank a lot of powerade and a fair number of gels. For a 20-miler, I might have had 60 oz of Powerade and 2 (or 3?) Clif Shots. I felt like I had a lot of stuff sloshing around in my stomach though and there's no way I could make use of the carbohydrates at the rate I was consuming them.

Not having put that much though into the whole thing except reading this article at McMillanrunning.com, I went to the opposite extreme this time. I've just been drinking water (probably 20 oz in 20 miles) and have had no gels until recently. The theory is that not having carbohydrates during training would somehow stimulate me to use a higher percentage of fat and draw down glycogen in the muscles more, stimulating me to store more. Right after a long run, I'll have a Clif Bar while I'm stretching. Then after I'm home, I'll have a spectular amount of pancakes and eggs. I started this maybe four or five weeks ago after reading this article.

Now, I said no gels "until recently." When I reached my 18 mile run two weeks ago, I slowed considerably in the last 4-5 miles (about 1:00 min/mi slower). I interpreted this (perhaps wrongly) as slowing because of glycogen depletion. Anyway, I wasn't sure whether this was good because I was forced to burn more fat and stimulate that mechansim or bad because I was hampering recovery, and reinforcing poor form. Whatever the answer, I knew it was bad for my psyche. In my 15 mile run with 12 at marathon pace, I took a gel at mile 9 without guilt because I knew the purpose of this was sustaining marathon pace. In the 20 mile run, I took a gel at mile 14 when I felt a little lightheaded.

I haven't done enough research in this area to know the answer of whether carbohydrates during training are good or bad. I'm not sure anybody has. I've only got two long runs left and I'll probably just have a gel at mile 14. I'm debating whether or not to drink gatorade just to make sure I can tolerate it.

During the marathon, the plan is gatorade and gels all the way. Not sure how many gels though.

Carbo-loading? I'm inclined just keep this simple and follow this advice of the great Ted Poulos: eat a big pasta dinner Friday night and drink enough water on Friday and Saturday to make my teeth swim. The guy has run over 3000 races. If experience counts for anything...

Everyday nutrtion is something I plan to work on after the marathon. I'm really terrible about this. I don't eat breakfast and I eat whatever is quick for lunch (which is often a slice of pizza). I'm down from 187 a year ago when I started running to 172 this morning. I'm 5' 10'' (OK 5' 9 3/4'') and have a fairly small frame. I have plenty around the middle to lose. I could lose 20 lbs before hitting the metropolitan life table weights. Couldn't hurt not to carry around 20 extra pounds.

This week's schedule
  • Monday. Rest
  • Tuesday. VO2Max 8 mi w/ 5 x 600m @ 5K race pace
  • Wednesday. Medium long run 11 mi
  • Thursday. Rest
  • Friday. Recovery + speed 4 mi w/ 6 x 100m strides
  • Saturday. 10K tune-up race
  • Sunday. Long run 17 mi
By the way, 17 miles the day after a 10K does make me question Pfitzinger's sanity. Guess we'll see.

Weight: 172 (as a convention, I'll try to record my weight Monday mornings)
Today's training: Rest

No comments: