Saturday, February 11, 2006

heart rate, basic speed, breathing - 10K race

Today's training: 10K race, 47:31 official (~47:21 watch), 177 bpm avg

The race was relatively flat. A little hillier than the 11/02 5-miler I think but not much. Per suunto, total ascent was 112 feet and descent was 131.

Here are the splits I have: 1-7:41.3 (avg 167 bpm), 2-7:37.6 (175), 3-7:41.5 (177), 4-7:45.2 (178), 5-7:38.5 (182), 6-forgot to hit lap, 6.2- est. 8:57 (7:27 min/mi, 183 bpm)

The last time is estimated based on my eyeballing the finish line clock and subtracting 10 seconds, which I believe is the delta with my watch based on the mile splits they were calling. I forgot to hit stop on my watch at the finish!

Heart rate, basic speed, and breathing. Notice that my heart rate is considerably lower than the 5-miler. I was around 190 after the first couple of miles in the 5-miler and averaged 186 for the race. Here I couldn't get my heart rate up today except in the near sprint in the last mile or so.

Today, my breathing was 4-4 to start and I tried to force myself to run faster and get to 3-3 breathing after about a mile and a half, but I didn't really need it and I was kind of in between 4-4 and 3-3. Between mile 3 and 4 we hit the uphill portion and I started passing bunches of people. They were laboring, but I kept my pace easily up the hills. It really felt to me that I just couldn't figure out how make my legs go fast enough in a relaxed manner. After 4 miles I decided to push it and get myself to 2-2 breathing even if I wouldn't be going much faster. I went into a near sprint at about 5.5 miles, not thinking about the .2 miles after mile 6 (doh!). I couldn't quite catch the pack ahead of me in the last .2 miles and slowed a bit in the last 100 meters or so and 3 or 4 people passed me at the very end. Argh.

Suunto distance. The suunto gave 6.49 for the total mileage. This makes me worry about my marathon pace run where the distance was based on the watch. On the other hand the watch was calibrated at a much slower pace and I believe the calibration factors generally go down with faster pace. The watch was miscalibrated during the 5-miler telling me I was slower than I was. Here it was telling me I was faster. I know the slow readings definitely had a motivating effect during the 5 miler. Did the opposite happen here to some degree?

No comments: