Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The pretender running on empty

My day today

  • Alarm goes off at 5:20.
  • After shaving and brushing my teeth, I'm on the road at ~5:45.
  • I get to work at ~6:05 (takes only 20 minutes this early)
  • I get changed and am running at 6:15 am.
  • I finish running at 7:48.
  • I do some stretching, crunches, etc., take a shower, get dressed and am in my office at 8:30 am (right on time).
  • Leave work at 5:45.
  • Get home at 6:10 (light traffic tonight).
  • Eat some pizza that's awaiting me.
  • Change and pack up clothes in my gym bag for tomorrow.
  • Sit down to write this at 7 pm, which is only two hours before we put the kids to bed and get ready to start this again.

One thing I don't like about driving to work and running there is that I leave when it's dark and get home when it's dark. If I give a generous 15 minutes for eating my pizza, the whole run, work, prepare for tomorrow's run/work took about 13 hours. You subtract some sleeping time and there's not much left each day. You throw in coaching basketball, a cub scout meeting or two, and whatever random stuff comes up, and it's pretty easy to answer the question "where does all the time go?"

I know everybody else is in the same boat, but I was listening to Jackson Browne on the way home, which can be kind of depressing :-)

And when the evening rolls around
Ill go on home and lay my body down
And when the morning light comes streaming in
Ill get up and do it again

Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive
Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive

If I can, I'm going to try running home from work Thursday and then into work on Friday (10.5 each way). This way I'll have my car at work and don't have to deal with taking the bus home (which adds probably 45 minutes each day). It also means I get to sleep in Thursday and see my kids before school and I save the 20 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the afternoon driving to and from work. An added benefit over my usual running in routine is that I can arrive a little later on Friday. Normally when I run in I try to get there before 7:45 so I can get to my office to retrieve my work clothes without seeing too many people in my sweaty running clothes. With this plan, I can leave my clothes in my car and still be on time if I get there at 8 or so.

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Yes, I am learning how compacted the day feels when running, working, commuting, playing with kids, etc. goes. I wish I could run to work. I would really love to run during my lunch hour too, but I haven't found available showers yet. It will be a work in progress. Nice mileage this week!