Thursday, July 31, 2008

signed up for a half

Another one hour run this morning. So humid it felt like swimming. Temp was 72 at 6am, but so was the dew point. As of 8 am the dew point is 73.9 here. Anything over 70 is, for me, where I just laugh and slog through. I threw in about a half dozen short, half-hearted striders.

I signed up for a half on 9/14 last night. I ran it last year. My pace then was 7:08/mile compared to my 2007 Cherry Blossom 10-mile pace of 6:59. I ran 6:53 pace at CB this year, so 7 min/mi seems like a good goal. If I run out of my mind 1:29:59 (6:52 pace) might happen. The course is a net downhill, but if you look at the elevation map in the link, you'll see you lose most of the elevation in the first 2+ and gain in the last 2+. It's a pretty fast course, but not as fast as something like CB. The climb at the end will be good preparation for NCR, which has a ridiculous last couple of miles (after being about as easy as you could imagine for the first 24).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be eager to see what you'll put down now that you've found a training groove...it's exciting.

Greg said...

It's so much easier to get up to run in the morning when I am excited. I have no objective data to support it, but I just feel like I'm improving. It's a great feeling.

Mindi said...

Yes, I too will look forward to seeing your time this year. Halfs are so much fun - enjoy! And yes, I think you do have tangible proof - you seem to have made a lot of progress with your race times, paces, HRs....Very nice.