Thursday, July 17, 2008

meandering

In May/June, I gave up my long run (meaning >17 miles) in an effort to make it easy to get my mileage back up without too much strain. It seemed to work in January, but for one reason or another, my long run is gone, but my mileage is still hovering ~60 (about my average for the year). I've been doing some harder running, which is probably part of it. The moderate runs definitely take more out of me and the hills especially require a little recovery.

This week I started trying something a little different. (I think I own too many running books.) I was looking at John Kellog's chapter in run strong and he talks about doing block of 2-4 days at a higher mileage and then backing off for 2-4 days. The example he gives is for a 40-45 mpw runner: 5, 6, 5, 10, 7, 10, 8, 6, 5, and 6. (That's from memory but it's close.) He says the higher mileage block should be 10-20 percent higher than the average weekly mileage, which doesn't fit hit example. (10 + 7 + 10 + 8)/4 = 8.75. 45/7 = 6.4. 8.75/6.4 = 1.38. 38 % >> 20%. OK, I know. Feel "kung fu" don't think it.

Anyway..... This week so far has been 6, 12, 9, 12. I was going to do something like 7, 8, and 7 for the next three days. I've already messed that up though by signing up for an 8k on Saturday night. My plan is to run it with a friend of mine, which I think should be a little below 10 mile pace. He's been running more though, so who knows. Tentative plan for the next three days is 7, 3 am/8k pm, and 7.

There's so many possible ways to go that I've thought about getting a coach so I don't have to think about it anymore. I know Joseph will suggest Will, but I've looked at distancecoach.com also. $99 a month for a minimum 5 months. Eh, I don't know. The kids probably want to go to college and the market has been killing their college savings. In my heart I know if I run over 70 miles a week for a decent period of time and lose 5-10 pounds, 3:15 will be a no-brainer. Do I need a coach to tell me that?

1 comment:

Adam said...

Hey Greg,
I was in the same boat and finally just decided to simplify everything for better or worse. One long run on the weekend, one mid-length run with a tempo segment midweek, and as many easy miles as I can find time for the other days. The running is the easy part...losing the weight is what sucks;)