Tuesday, June 10, 2008

pain free


I forgot to mention that after my knee bothered me on the run yesterday, I wrapped it with an ice pack for 10 minutes. The Mueller cold-hot wrap is the best running gadget I've ever purchased. Joseph suggested ice baths, which I agree with wholeheartedly, but they take some time and are a little unpleasant for the first couple of minutes, so I usually reserve them for after long runs (18 or over).

Anyway, I was out there this morning and the plan was just to go for one of those slow, low heart rate type runs that I used to do all the time. I'd head out to the lake and turn around if it bothered me. Well, I didn't feel the knee at all the whole time and I ended up trotting around the lake for the full 8.6 miles. It was still brutally hot and humid, but I find it isn't nearly as unpleasant when I run slow (like below 140 bpm). It feels more like spending 80 minutes in a sauna.

After some thunderstorms tonight, the high will be in the mid-80s tomorrow, which is more typical for this time of year. I'm planning to run home on Wed and into work on Thursday. I love run commuting so I'm going to do more of it even if it doesn't really fit with the plan (i.e., I have to sacrifice some quality).

No comments: