Friday, May 16, 2008

should have just gone back to bed

I woke up several times during the night, which means when I woke up for good I already had that I-didn't-sleep-enough-and-my-head-is-going-to-hurt-all-day headache. (Joseph, did I get the hyphenation right?) Got out of bed for good at 5:30 and ran. That part went fine. 5.7 at 8:30 pace, which my body has settled on as my "maintenance" pace. Started out at 9:30 and was at 8:10 for the last 1.7. Average heart rate was 145 versus a 200 max, so pretty easy. My legs felt a little stronger than normal.

Got home, showered, and got ready to leave. I said something to my wife like "My head hurts. I'm not going to get anything done. I might as well go back to bed." I wish I had. On the way to work, I got rear-ended on the interstate and pushed into the car in front of me, which buckled my hood pretty badly. Anyway, lots of calls to the insurance company, getting a rental, yada, yada. I swear I have to start from the beginning ever time I talk to the insurance company. You think they'd write this stuff down. I'm currently waiting for them to call me back so I can give them my "statement." I guess the first 20 times didn't count. I called at 5. They close at 7. It's now 6. What are the odds they call back. I'm gonna say 100 to 1.

I had the good fortune to be hit by a government vehicle. My agent said that I'll definitely get my $500 deductible back... eventually. This is the government we're dealing with. I also had a state trooper work the accident. They apparently don't give you that magic report number everybody seems to want. I call some number in a week and go to some out of the way place to pick up a copy.


Tomorrow I'm running a 5k -- 13 days after the marathon. It was only 6 day between races when I set a PR last year. Does that mean I'm more cautious? Last year, only 7 M30-39 showed up. It's a high school fund raiser and there's a nice gap between the kids and their parents. That gap got me 2nd in my age group, a $25 gift certificate last year, and a handshake with our congressman. That's too hard to resist. I'm afraid the word is out now though on the soft M30-39 competition.

No comments: