Thursday, May 22, 2008

running log program I've been writing


I've been messing around with writing a running log program for what seems like a couple of years. I mess with it every once in a while when the mood strikes. I like to change directions every 6 months or so in order to make sure I never finish. Anyway, I'm trying to make it look more like a runner's log book than something a computer programmer wrote to capture data.

The anal retentive entries are from when I first got my Suunto T6. The cal referred to calibrated the footpod used for measuring distance. Stram is "Suunto Training Manager" and after I downloaded the watch data, it would show mileage that differed by about one percent from what the watch displayed. This drove me crazy. I finally figured out what was going on. Both Stram and the watch internally stored the distance in meters, but the watch used a conversion factor of 1600 meters per mile instead of 1609.344 when doing to conversion to display it. I still can't quite get over that. At some point, some guy just said, "Ah. I think there are 1.6 kilometers per mile" and just typed it in.

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions about how a running log program should work, please let me know. It will give me some motivation to change directions yet again :-)

No comments: