Thursday, January 07, 2010

6 minutes barefoot

Parents gave me Born to Run for Christmas and I did a little barefoot running tonight. I'm trendy. Sue me.

I did 15' in my Frees on the treadmill and my knee was killing me. There's something about the absolute flatness and relentless steady pace that gets my knee in just the right position for pain. I generally lean forward and hold on to my back kick (I think I maintain contact a little longer and extend my hips but I probably just look goofy) when that happens and it seems to relieve it.

I tried kicking off my shoes and boy did it feel weird. I thought I could "feel" the road in my Frees. Not even close. The treadmill felt totally different. I could feel the sink of the deck when my foot landed. I had this sensation that it was inclined while I was running. It took a second to realize that it must be because my foot was no longer de-clined by my heel. My knee didn't hurt at all and I felt a little side-to-side bob in my form. I also had a barely audible slap with my right foot. It's the one that points out. The left one hits outer edge first and pronates like you see on the slo-mo movies, but I think the right one hits ball first and slaps the outer edge down. Anyway, it was just 6 minutes so hopefully I didn't hurt anything for the learning experience. If I'm not too sore tomorrow, I'll try 10' next time.

3 comments:

Mindi said...

Wow! I was running yesterday and actually thought about going barefoot. Only times I have in the past are on the TM. Don't think I could go far though with my crappy biomechanics. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

runperryrun said...

You are brave. I have thought of trying it but scared to get injured. They say to take it slow like you did not running a 12 miler the first day but going 1 mile and feeling it out. I am interested to see how it goes for yah...good luck brave one.

Greg said...

Thanks, Perry. I can't believe somebody besides Mindi actually read this!