Sunday, May 28, 2023

week of 22 May

 Only 5 runs this week, but got my 25 miles and a new long run of 7.9 (on the route that used to be my every day easy run -- seriously).  This involved some gallowalking, having felt sore from the max HR test and also have been working on my duck foot a bit (which I'm sure will lead to injury...)

  • Mon. Rest.
  • Tue. Max HR test.  Bad idea.  Wanted to do polar protocol - 15' wup, 2' up hill at 20T.  jog down.  Up again at pace building to 3k pace.  jog down and let drop 30-40 bpm.  1-minute pace up last ime.
    • Hill was too steep at the base and wore myself out.  Hit 183 bpm.  But when doing 5x400 a few weeks ago I hit 182 on the last 4 intervals, so I think my max is still higher.
    • I shouldn't be worrying about max HR until I'm at least under 175 pounds, so no more of that.
  • Wed.  4.75 7/3 run walk (13:34/mi)
  • Thu.  Rest.  had to get to work early and getting no sleep.
  • Fri.  burke lake 4.6 7/3 run/walk (12:33/mi)
  • Sa.  7.9-mile 8/2 run/walk (12:53/mi)
  • Su. 3.25 miles @ 12:49/mi.  Almost stopped b/c of right knee but stretched and OK.
Paces and average heart rates were -- 12:01/139 - max HR test day, 13:34/123, 12:33/128, 12:53/129, 12:49/126, 12:56/123.

Totals.  24.98 miles.  5h19'.  3296 calories. average weight (n=3): 195.7.

Tried to make up for stress of getting 25 in 5 days while extending long run by doing run/walk.  I've also been working on my duck foot and want to take it easy.

On the duck foot thing, I've seemed to have made more progress than I thought possible.  Basically, from the plethora of youtube channels I know about from trying to fix my shoulder and neck, I used some of their tips. Basically, I have tibial torsion and I'm trying to strengthen knee internal rotators (even just activate them) and stretch/deactivate the external rotators.  When walking, I'll deliberately try and sense the activation of the muscles that keep my from externally rotating my foot when I pick it up.  Just this attention has made a difference. I'm not actively trying to internally rotate -- just being aware of how those muscles feel.  (Recommend the book The Inner Game of Tennis.)  Try not to do this when I run, but I end up doing it anyway.

So, I'm just trying to burn calories and get my metabolism straight while getting some "functional strength" (think that's the buzzword) to prevent injury and maybe improve my running economy.

Big news is that my weight is finally showing some movement.  Been stuck at 198 even after ramping up miles, but body finally relented a bit this week. Weighed in at 196, 196.6, and 194.4 fri, sat, sun.

No comments: