Sunday, May 24, 2009

week of 18 May

Monday, May 18
rest

Tuesday, May 19
4-5 mile easy run including 4 x 15 sec high knees up a hill and 4 x 15 sec speed bounds up a hill

Wednesday, May 20
8-10 mile total moderate run including run up a hill for 25-30 min @ half marathon effort. Jog easy down Finish run w/6 strides and 3 x150m cutdowns. If you are not able to run up a hill try to run on rolling hills.
10.6 @ 8:02/mile. 5 miles easy-to-moderate. 4 miles mostly uphill -- 7:26/169 bpm avg, 7:16/174, 7:06/179, 7:19/177. 6 half-hearted strides, followed by a pretty good job at the cutdowns. By the way, the first part of this course is a pretty fair Boston simulator.
PCC
Did PCC in the evening. Skipped row again, since I can't do at home. I pulled something in my abs in the top center (around my "xiphoid process" -- that thingy that stick below your sternum) doing the squat thrusts.
I also starting coughing in the evening having finally succumbed to the virus spewing from the woman at work whose been hacking up a lung since Monday. The worst part is feeling my ab strain every time I cough.

Thursday, May 21
4-5 mile easy run
Emphasis on the easy. 4.0 @ 10:00 and that's all I really wanted. My heart rate was high, too. Think I'm sick. This is the 4th day of incredible weather. It was in the 40s. Mon-Th have been ~50 deg or less. Two bad I didn't have these conditions for the 5k.

Friday, May 22
5-6 mile easy run including 3 strides then sprint training:
Use the first few sprints as a warm up and always run in control with good form
4 x 15 sec’s w/75 sec rests
3 x 20 sec's w/75 sec rests
Humidty was back and I'm still sick. My HR was off the charts for my pace. Other than that it went fine. 2.25 wup, sprints w/75 sec rests, and 2.25 cdn. Nice to be back at the track.
I was planning to do the core 100 tonight, but I'm still feeling the ab strain when I cough.

Saturday, May 23
5-6 mile easy run
Terrible night. Sick and couldn't sleep more than 45 minutes at a time. Aborted after 2 miles. Had to sit outside from 9:30am to 7pm volunteering and watching my daughter's soccer tournament. Actually felt better from sitting in the heat all day. Maybe tomorrow will be OK. The ab strain is still there. Think I'll do PCC tomorrow but avoid the squat thrusts.
Sunday, May 24
12-13 mile moderate run including 15-18 x 1 min @ 5k effort w/1-2 min jog rests over rolling hills
Had to leave the house at 7:45am for another fun-filled day of soccer. Alarm went off at 4:45. I actually only woke up two or three times during the night. Anyway, I was off at 5:10. Can't say I'm not committed! Looks like yesterday was rock bottom. My Garmin was out of juice, so I went old school. 9 minutes past the rec center porta-johns should have put me at about 6 miles. Turned around and did 16 x 1' @5k w/90sec jog rests. The hills were definitely rolling. More fun on the way down than up! I think this was close to 5k effort. I might have slacked a little, but no worse than 10k. Hard to tell. I'm actually glad I got out before the games and didn't try to squeeze it in between as I beat the sun. We're going to call this one a win.
PCC
Finally got home from the soccer extravaganza at 7:45 (we did also get to be home between 11 and 1). Did the PCC 2x thru. I skipped the squat thrust b/c of my strain and the rows b/c I can't figure out how to do them at home. (No Smith machine at this house.)

Total: 40.3 miles (scheduled 45)

No comments: