Tuesday, April 24, 2007

week of 23 April

Mo -4.11
neighborhood. I felt so good yesterday, I almost went for an afternoon run. This morning, the only after affect was some tightness in my right hamstring. I think this is from my right hamstring being tighter than my left. Anyway, it seems a little strange that 15 miles with 10 @7:26 pace would be so much easier to recover from than 20@9:07 pace.

Tu - 10.8
Repeat of last Tuesday. 1 loop warmup, 8 x 0.3 miles. Split/Rests were: ..... Finished with the 4.11 loop. The first interval was slow. Then I decided to start with 2-2 instead of 3-3 breathing and my breathing sort of got out of the way of my running and it was much easier. I'd run with 2-2 breathing the whole way with progressively more forceful exhales. Legs felt fine during the runs except a few twinges of the left knee doing the 10 laps/mile track. Then walking down the steep hill to my house, the left knee didn't quite "groove" right -- the usual knee thing.

We -4.11
Felt inspired to run my recovery a little faster. 8:43 pace and 144 bpm average. Knee didn't bother me at all except a little bit when I was walking afterwards and later in the morning when I dropped my car keys and stopped to pick them up.

Th - 11.5
Ran to the lake and then an out and back up CCT plus a detoure to check on the stair construction (it doesn't look like they've done anything in a month). Distance is a bit of a guess with gmap but probably within a couple of tenths. I did the warmup a little quicker than normal (a little over 20 minutes to the lake ~9mm pace). After 30 minutes did 3x10 faster with 5 minute jog between. averaged about 160 bpm I think with the last near 170. Don't know the paces. Animal count on the trail: 1 possum (I think it was a possum), 2 deer, 1 fox, and something jumping in the pond (fish?) that scared the bejeezus out of me. I was doing a tempo section when I saw the deer. I was running fast enough at him that he gave me the "deer in the headlights" look for one potato, two potato... I started to slow before he ran away. At the end on the big hill, I noticed that my calf (or something) was very tight and had a little pain. It's about 6 inches above my right outside "ankle bone."

Fr -4.4
Had to watch the kids and run on the treadmill. 40 minutes. HRM was off until I built a sweat and I was surprised to see it at ~132 when it corrected itself and I was at 9:30 pace. I upped the pace over time and was at 6.9mph (8:41) for most of it. Just got over 140 in the last 10 minutes and got in the 143-145 range at the very end. I am much faster than last time I ran on a treadmill. I felt the calf thing again today. It feels like it my be my peroneal tendon, but up where it connects to my calf (not in the foot where you usually hurt it). This is a little distressing. I need to make sure I take it really easy tomorrow.

Sa - 4.3
Treadmill again. 9:16 pace. HRM messed up for first 10 minutes (read 160+) and 140 average isn't close to right (I occasionally touched 139 at the end). Once the HRM started working, I found myself at 8:57 pace and a heart rate of 129. I've definitely improved a lot recently. New pair of shoes. wp7-1. Shoes felt perfect. I'm still having the calf/tendon problem and it's pretty distressing. It was about the same as yesterday. I think what's going on is that my turned out right foot is using some of these tendons on the outside of my leg when it sure be relying on the more capable Achilles more.

Su - 13.2
The schedule said 2 hours and I aimed to get them in although real life made it tough. I got 15 minutes in outside before my daughter got home. After a 15-20 min break of making lunch, I was forced to the treadmill for the next 1:45, which involved me watching about 4 episodes of Arthure. This was brutal. My pace/heart rate was very good, but I was absolutely drenched in sweat and the monotony cause me to reduce to 6 mph for the last 15 minutes (I had been at 7 mph and 150 bpm, which is pretty good for me). 11.6 miles on the treadmill and google says 1.6 outside. 2:00:14/140 average (messed up for first 5-10 minutes), pace 9:07 min/mi. Exactly the same as the last two 20 milers. Calf thing didn't bother me at all during the run although it felt a little tight afterwards. The left knee is still troubling though. It's only at slow speeds and downhills where it gives me problems. Used new shoes.

This week I'm hoping accuweather isn't right. High of 78 and low of 58. Ugh. accuweather's saturday high is 76 vs 68 for wunderground though, so I'm not sure who to believe. I'd have settled for today. It was 50 at 7:30am when I start and 66 at 11am when I should be finishing.

One thing I did well this week was sleep. I was asleep before 10 on Th, and Fr, and by 10:30 on Saturday.

week
52 miles, 7h 49m
shoes
wp6-1: 279 + 35 = 314
wp7-1: 17
wr10-1: 335 + 0 = 335

No comments: