Monday, March 26, 2007

week of 26 March

Mo - 4.1
Usual nbhrd route. Like Sat, this was faster than normal, although my heart rate was a couple of beats higher. I forgot to mention one pain from yesterday. I did these ankle extension stretch in "Explosive Running" that left my shins sore I think. I could still feel it today although I don't think it had any effect. I'm running into work tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll get in those hills that I though helped me last week. I could use the hill at the lake, but it only comes 21 or 22 minutes into the run. I'd like a little more of a warmup and jogging these last hour and a half after that might not be too fun. Still, it's probably the best option if I want to do hills. The other possible is to do short 5K pace intervals. This tweaked my hamstring last week though. Still feeling the PF from yesterday. Weighed 158.

Tu - 10.5
1:39:20/142 (9:30 min/mi) Ran to work. Run to the trail head felt *very* easy. 21:59 there, which is fairly typical, but my heart rate only averaged 130. Tried to do some short hard effort, trying to take advantage of some hills and some short hard efforts, shooting for 2:15 of hard running because I figure Benji did those 800m in something like that (he was actually probably more like 2:05-2:10). I ended up doing 7 of these along the way with varied rest (because of traffic lights, etc.). I hit about 174 bpm at the end of most of these. I had planned to do 8 but my legs felt kind of heavy and I did the last one slowly (only hit 167), so I decided to quite while I was ahead. My PF is really bothering me as I sit here at the computer. I think it was aggravated on Sunday's 20-miler. I'm not sure if it was the increased workload last week (adding those 4 hills on Tuesday) or maybe it's doing my long runs in my wave riders or doing more runs in the precisions? Weighed 159 when I got home from work. I expected higher since I'm usually up a few pounds in the evening.

We - 4.1
Round the neighborhood. 63 degrees this morning? I thought I'd get at least a few weeks of running in the low- to mid-50s. I realized that my hamstring didn't bother me at all during the hard sections yesterday. Weighed 157 this morning after the run. First time I've seen that number in at least a dozen years.

Th - 10.5
I ran to work today. With the race on sunday, I couldn't decide quite what to do. Should I do the tempo portion? Should I run the 10.5 or 11.7 mile route? Anyway, I went with the shorter distance and thought I'd do 3 x (8t 4e).

I ended up running the tempo portions not nearly as hard as before. The tempo intervals were 7:45/163 (max 168) pace unknown, 5:26/158 (max 162) pace unknown, 8:05/165 (max 171) pace 7:06. I forgot to remember the street where I stopped the first tempo run. Using gmap the distance was either 1.036 or 1.236. The first would be 7:28 pace and I'm was quite sure I ran the first interval much faster than the last, but the second would give 6:16 pace which I've never come close to in my life. Must be the 7:28 I guess, but I don't see how. The second tempo stopped at a red light unfortunately and never really got going. No idea how long it was. Turns and hills and darkness along with a general lack of focus kept me from running it very hard. There was then a longer rest (6 minutes) between the 2nd and third for lights and getting to a good stretch of road. I'm quite sure of where I started and stopped the third interval and gmap put it at 1.138 miles which is 7:06 pace. When I was running it my breathing was 3-3 and it didn't feel bad. I was debating whether it was marathon pace or a little faster. No way I'm in that kind of shape. Maybe I should start the 10-miler at this pace. I believe the heart rate is similar to the first mile of annapolis last summer, but that was starting cold. Anyway, good run today. Probably should have run easy and tapered for Sunday, but this gave me confidence and a good feel for a starting pace.

The first tempo was 2-2 breathing and the last was 3-3 breathing (almost as fast as I could go with 3-3 breathing). I found an interesting article on what breathing should be like for tempo runs. He suggest 2-2 breathing is right for a 20-minute tempo runs but notes for cruise intervals (what I was doing) it might not take hold by the time you're finished.

Weighed and measured myself on the dr.'s scale at the work gym -- 69.5'' and 160-1/8 pounds.

Fr - 4.1
Around the neighborhood. Pace was 9:33. Heart rate was 136. Last fall in the week before MCM I did 2 full loops at 9:33 pace and 139 heart rate, which is probably equivalent considering it was a longer distance. I think my pace is definitely better at higher heart rates, but I don't think it's better at low ones. Not sure what that means for the marathon.

Sa - 4.1
Same as yesterday. 9:31 pace today and 136 heart rate. I also felt about like I did last Saturday. Still a little stiff and it felt a little harder than it should for the pace/heart rate. Last Sunday I had a great long run, so hopefully tomorrow's race will go the same way. I looked back at the logs from the week before MCM to make a better comparison. The first lap (which is the same route) on one of those was 27:58/136. Today was 28:03/133. Definitely a little better today.

Su - 10 race

1:09:48/180. Perfect day. Fantastic. See previous post. My heart rate average 4 bpm lower than Annapolis. This seems to be the effect tempo runs (and races have on me). I wonder if tapering will mean my heart rate will be back up to its usual 173 for marathons or whether it will be something lower.

week
47 miles
shoes
wp6-1: 76 + 33 = 109
wr10-1: 321 + 14 = 335
I might have run 4 in the wave riders instead of 14, but I'm not sure. Next week I'll probably do my long run in the precisions for the first time.

No comments: