Sunday, June 25, 2023

week of 19 June

Hot, humid, and going backwards..

Activities

  • Mon.  Rest.
  • Tue.
  • Wed.  rain, so used my brand new treadmill.  would have done 7 easy outside, but not wanting to suffer in monotony on the 'mill, I accepted the garmin suggestion:  3x7' threshold (which is a sad 9:35 for me).  I never don't' regret accepting its suggestion and strained my right hamstring in the last minute of the last interval.
  • Th.  Rest for tweaked hamstring.  Raining and got on the treadmill for a minute before deciding it was a bad idea.  I think I could have managed 3 very easy outside, but the treadmill locks you in a gate and it's hard to get loose.
  • Fr.  Taking it easy.  4.8 @13:18/129.  69 and 93% humidity dp 66.  lightly raining for most of it.  Could feel hamstring was there but not hurting.
  • Sa.  4.8@13:19/129.  72 and 93% humidty.  dew point 70!  Woke up with headache even hotter and more humid.  Really miserable. Tried to stay under 135 bpm and walked some hills. still feel hamstring but no tugging or anything.
    • I did this 12-minute follow along strength training https://youtu.be/qOtTIOPI6qc
    • Glad I did it rather than spending even more time online figure out what to do.  Probably need more but it was 3 sets of goblet squat, plank, reverse lung, crunch with 40s on and 20s rest.
    • Also this to try and help my right duck foot https://youtu.be/FJzVplRn33A
  • Su. 7.9@13:08/131.  72, but dp 65 felt much better.  more hill walking
Miles: 26.0.  5h31m.  calories 3295.

Really miserable week.  Sleep not great. blood pressure up.  It's getting hot and humid.  Noticed I did not quite a 5:30 marathon over the course of a week.  Let that ego go....

Blood pressure was way up late in the week.  116/72 on Wed and then 127/73, 124/74, 128/77, 129/74 Th, Fr, Sat, Su. Not sure what's going on.

Weight:  194.5 +/- 0.9 (n=6). BF 20.6%.  Last week: 194.6.

Noticed another depressing getting old thing.  194.2 was 20.1% BF in Jan 2017.  Not sure how accurate this is, but higher BF for the same weight is one of the miracles of aging.

Needing something to obsess over rather than workouts that I think are ill-advised at this point, I'll turn my attention to glute activation.  Paid attention and on my right (duck-footed) side, I seem to absorb the impact with eccentric contraction of hip flexors.  If I consciously engage glutes for a brief period, I can sense my hip flexors relaxing.

Bought the Hanson's book -- apparently again as I already had the 1st edition in kindle library...  shouldn't have counted on amazon telling me I own it already)  The 2nd edition only adds a "just finish" marathon plan to the beginner and advanced.  Just finish is all easy runs to build up mileage.

Thinking of following that mileage build up, although it's hardly different that what I've been doing/was planning on doing.  My race might be the 10-miler I was planning (instead of a marathon).  I'd just be ending week 5, which is 24 miles -- rest or XT, 5, rest or XT, 4, 5, 4, 6  So almost exactly what I did.

Again, hansons not much different than my plan, which was basically adding 5 miles/week every four weeks with a cut back every four weeks.  Wed is rest/XT.  I need to do some strength.  Can do wed, but probably should do other days as well.

No comments: